Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pano pano is offline

Default Counting numbers with a letter attached in excel

Thanks Gary, Max & Kassie Problem is fixed as below for anyone who is
interested.........

Problem:-
Sheet 1 Column A1 to A10 contains user input of say

10S
5S
6A
7B
25C
7C

the letter after the number gives the number a unique identifier.
However some cells may be blank !!(empty)
How do I count these up so they become a number only on Sheet 2 in a
column

Bats Total 7
Cricket Balls 32
Antenna 6
Seats 15

Answer which works for me from Gary & Max

in B1 enter:
=RIGHT(A1,1) and copy down
In C1 enter:
=IF(LEN(A1)<2,0,IF(ISERROR(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)*1),0,LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)*1))

Then the sum formulae a

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B6="A"),C1:C6)
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B6="B"),C1:C6)
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B6="S"),C1:C6)