Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

Default Managing Data in 2 spreadsheets

Bob,

So since AKAI appears in column A, Rows 1 and 2 should be removed. But
that'd remove ACME and AIRT from the list of discontinued vendors. The
stuff in column A should be in a separate sheet. No doubt about that. Cut
that column, then paste it into another sheet. Change that sheet's name to
something like "dropped vendors." We'll call the original sheet
"Inventory." In sheet Inventory, delete the now empty column A. That will
move the vendor column, currently B, to A, and everything else will move
over also. Now follow my original instructions, except put the helper
column way over to the right somewhere beyond the columns you have stuff in.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Bob Ettinger" wrote in message
The logic I need to use is as follows. If there is a vendor in column A,
then
I want to check all of column B. If there is an appearance of the same
vendor
in column B, then I want to delete the entire row and every row where that
vendor appears.
So in this example, AKAL appears in column A and I want to delete rows 1 &
2
because AKAI appears in column B.

Does this make it clear? If not please advise.

Thanks for the effort.

Bob

A B C D E

Invalid
Vendor Vendor Item Desc Price

ACME AKAI PDP4206EM 42 IN PLASMA 1252
AIRT AKAI PDP4216M 42 IN HD PLASMA TUNER 1046
AIWA AMA ABB1921DEW Easy Reach(TM) Refrigerat 676
AKAI AMA ABB1922FEB Easy Reach(TM) Plus Refrige 704
APEX AMA ABB1922FEQ Easy Reach(TM) Plus Refrige 704
ATT AMA ABB1922FEW Easy Reach(TM) Plus Refrige 704
BEMI AMA ABB1927DEB Easy Reach(TM) Refrigerator 882
BIC AMA ABB1927DEW Easy Reach(TM) Refrigerator 882

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Bob,

This is not an ordinary table, it doesn't seem, at all. I don't see how
there can be a meaningful relationship between your columns (vendors,
items,
etc), unless you've put both vendor and item data into column B,
something
you're going to want to fix before you do another thing by changing the
layout of your table. If that's the case, we can help with that. And
I'm
running out of coffee.

You need to give an example of part of the table. Don't put anything in
the
example except the exact data in this table. Make sure it's clear what's
in
which column. Set your newsreader (Outlook Express?) to a
non-proportional
font, like Courier, for consistent horizontal spacing. If you're using a
web
interface to this newsgroup where the font may be difficult or impossible
change, make the table in Notepad, using Courier, then paste it into your
post. Then we can paste it back into Notepad.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com