Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dribler2 dribler2 is offline

Default Exponent help

it looks like u have only one variable...
try goal seek...

--
*****
birds of the same feather flock together..

"Josh P." wrote:

Hello, my question deals with solver and exponents in excel. This may be too
technical but I'll give it a try. I'm using solver for calculating zero rate
or "spot rate" bond yields. Instead of using periodic interest rates you
have to use continuous compounding. Here is the formula with the numbers
inputed and I'll use "Y" as the variable to solve for:

4(EXP-(Y*.5)) +4(EXP-(Y*1))+4(EXP-(Y*1.5))+104(EXP-(Y*2.0))

all of this must equal 104.21 when the equation is solved out. My teacher
showed us the answer in class but didn't go over the technique cause he
assumed we could figure it out. I'm unsure of how to do it with solver. Any
help would be greatly appreciated and I'll be glad to answer any questions.
Thanks