Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
J@Y J@Y is offline

Default Monthly Data, need quarterly Stdev

The offset equation returns an range(ie: $A$1:$A$3), but if I put a 1+ in
front of the Offset function (=STDEV(1+ OFFSET($A$1:$A$3,
3*(ROW(B1)-ROW($B$1)), 0) ), it gives me a #Value error. Going through
Formula Evaulation, I noticed that the offset function does not return a
range anymore if the 1+ is added. Why is that?

" wrote:

J @ Y wrote:
My monthly data are in a column. I am currently using B1=Stdev(A1:A3)....
then selecting 3 vertical cells (ie: B1:B3) then dragging it down. But that
leaves each quarterly Stdev 2 spaces apart. How would I do it so that the
quarterly Stdev organized in 1 spaceless column?

I do not agree with your method of computing quarterly std dev. But to
answer your Excel question, one way is to enter the following array
formula into B1 (use ctl-shift-Enter) and copy down appropriately:

=STDEV( OFFSET($A$1:$A$3, 3*(ROW(B1)-ROW($B$1)), 0) )

If your std dev formulas truly begin in row 1, you could write simply
"row(B1)-1" instead of "row(B1)-row($B$1)". The latter generality
permits you to begin the table in any row, not just row 1.