Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PerplexedinKY PerplexedinKY is offline

Default Can I take a huge irregular text file and place it into columns?

I have a large file that comes in as text. When I bring it into excel, it
all goes into one column. I need each piece of data to be placed into a
seperate column. The problem that I have is that the information is not
spaced regularly from row to row. Or marked with any special cahracters. I
need to be able to write several macros that check each row for specific keys
(text strings) and parse the data accordginly. I am beginning to think that
this is nearly impossible and I would be better off asking my MIS guy to
write a translator program. So that the file can go directly into excel
without having to use notepad as the middle man. Does anyone have any
suggestions?