frankjh19701 frankjh19701 is offline
Member

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary''s Student
Say we have a block of numbers from A1 thru J2000

In L1 enter:
=RANDBETWEEN(1,10)
(randon column)

In L2 enter:

=RANDBETWEEN(1,2000)
(random row)

In L3 enter:

=INDEX(A1:J2000,L2,L1)

to pick a single random item in the table

--
Gary's Student

"frankjh19701" wrote:

Does anyone know how to setup a random number generator from a
pre-defined set of numbers? For example, I have a series of numbers
across 10 columnsand down 2000 rows, and I want to select only a few of
them and run a random number analysis with them. To be able to pick 3,
5, 7, or all ten numbers and run them to find all of the possible 3, 5,
7, or 10 digit number variations. Anyone know?

--
frankjh19701
I'm sorry, maybe I'm a little slow here, but this doesn't work or make any sense to me. I don't want to pick a lone single random number, I want to pick all of one numbers variation with the other numbers in a given range. What you presented only selects one random number by itself, which doesn't help. I'm sorry to say.