Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Path/File access error: '\VBx.tmp'

Add some controls to a worksheet from the control toolbox toolbar and you'll see
some .tmp files in the %temp% folder. But I've never seen excel put them in any
other location.

If those .tmp files look like: ...\VB*.tmp

I searched google again for "\vb" and .tmp and got a few hits.

One of them:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...1eecaad1c774cc
or
http://snipurl.com/1339g

One person posted that they saw files that had names like: ~RF26c83af.TMP.

It was caused by AVG.

You can read her description in this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...cd4eed0638e395

or
http://snipurl.com/jyus

A while ago, someone posted back that uninstalling something called "Panda
ClientShield" fixed a similar problem.

Even if you're not running "Panda ClientShield", you could try disabling this
program to see if the problem goes away.

COB wrote:

We have a user who just started getting this error. All she is trying to do
is "create a copy" of a sheet into the same workbook. Logged on as
administrator it works fine on her pc. I checked the permissions of the
server directory and she has full control of the directory and files. This
particular spreadsheet uses macros.

I thought maybe it was because she uses a mapped drive (H:) to access the
file but even going thru the UNC path it fails.

The user can add data from my pc logged on as herself so feel I have
isolated to something on her pc.

It does feel like a rights issue. Whn it fails with the vb error, I see the
.tmp files being generated at the \\server\share level.

If the user creates a new workbook and tries to create a copy, it works
fine. Her macro security is set to medium. Any other settings that could
cause this?

--

Dave Peterson