Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
twisted1825 twisted1825 is offline

Default Store numbers starting with zero as 2 digit numbers

Valid point on the custom format. The upload into another system will not
take correctly since the value itself is still 5 instead of 05.

Another technicality, the system it is being uploaded to will need it as a
number format instead of text or it will be ignored.

Any other thoughts?

"Sloth" wrote:

I. Format as text or precede with an apostrophe
'05
this will display the way you want, but certain formulas, like SUM, will
ignore it. You can still use it in some mathematical operators, like =A1+A2.

II. Use a custom number format of...
00
this will display the way you want, but the value of the cell will be 5. If
you do something like =A1 you will get a result of 5 not 05, unless you
format the new cell with the same custom number format.

"twisted1825" wrote:

I need to hard code a single digit number (such as 5) as a 2 digit number
(05). Any ideas?