Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O Dave O is offline

Default International decimal number formats

Hi, John-
The information contained in a cell and the way that information is
diplayed are frequently different, and driven by the cell's format and
Windows Regional and Language Settings.

For instance, if you enter an Excel-recognizable date in a cell (try
your local equivalent of 10 January 2007) then reformat that cell to a
numeric format, the cell will display 39092.

We should consider that as we develop a solution to your question. That
said, I'm honestly not sure what your question is. When you say
"define the position of the decimal place", do you want to determine
significant digits? Or convert between formats?

Dave O