Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default Iterations of complex calculations

If it is as easy as you suspect, likely there is a solution out there. Spend
some time with Google. Maybe you'll stumble upon something.

Else, maybe reconsider how easy it is...

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Martin James Thornhill" wrote:

That's a shame.

One of the most elementary things that a computer should do is "work the
sausage factory". It's where computing started!

"Here is the way the factory works, here are a few ingredients (in varying
proportions), what is the result for each combination?"

It seems that one needs to be a brain surgeon to program in VisualBasic to
do something that I knew how to do using BBC Basic (all those years ago!).

Thanks for your help - likewise to driber2 - but the only realistic (and
time-effective) manner to do this is to punch the parameters into the model,
copy the result and paste-value it into the correct cell of the summary.

Note to Microsoft or anybody else who can write Excel 2000+ Add-Ins: invent
a function =CALLSCENARIO(<name,p1,p2,p3,...pn,o):

* where <name is a defined scenario on the server worksheet (that might
exist in a different worksheet than the client worksheet), e.g.
(c:\test.xls[Sheet1]!"Scenario Test");

* where p1...pn are the parameters that the scenario requires; and

* where o describes the outcome cell required per scenario, e.g. if the
scenario summarises 3 cells, then o = 2 would return the second cell.

In cell, say, B10, the user punches in =CALLSCENARIO(Test,a10,b3,100,200,3).

How easy is this?!

Many thanks.

"Dave F" wrote:

I don't believe the Scenario Manager can be used in that manner. Perhaps
there is a VBA-based solution to your problem but you said in your original
post that you're not interested in going down that road....

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Martin James Thornhill" wrote:

Thanks Dave.

This is more like it, but it is incredibly tedious. Rather than type
parameters into dialogue box for every combination of parameter required, can
I use a formula to run the scenario, taking its parameters from elsewhere in
the calling sheet?

"Dave F" wrote:

I would look at the Scenario tool.

Tools--Scenarios...

Post back if you have questions.

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Martin James Thornhill" wrote:

In Excel 2000, I have a complex calculation (in a worksheet) that takes 4
parameters and uses them in 4 different sub-calculations, involving
relative/conditional sub-sub-calculations. In effect, it's a model.

Having done this, I now want to pour a series of numbers into this model, to
see its effect on various combinations of parameters.

Rather than type each parameter in, copy-paste-value the result into a
summary table, how can I get Excel to run the model on call from a worksheet?

I am illiterate in VisualBasic, so anything that avoids macroes would be cool.