Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Louise Louise is offline

Default saving styles into the personal workbook

Thanks for your suggestion, that should work perfect.

This may sound a stupid question but where's the XLStart folder?? Also, once
this fine is created, I presume I can go and open it whenever I like if I
need to save something else into it? Or just change the current workbook and
save as the same file name?

Louise

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I wouldn't put them in personal.xls.

But if I wanted every workbook that I created to have those styles, I'd create a
new workbook with those styles and save it as book.xlt (a template file) in my
XLStart folder.

You can also include any other stuff that you always want,
too--headers/footers/margins...

Then each time you click on the new icon on the standard toolbar, that new
workbook will inherit all the settings from that template file.

If I wanted to merge the styles into an existing file, I'd click that new button
and then merge them.

Louise wrote:

I want to create several styles for headings etc. in my workbooks which can
be used in every workbook I can create.

One option is to save all my styles in one workbook and ensure this workbook
is kept open and use the 'merge' feature in the styles dialog to merge the
styles to my new workbook. However, I believe this can also be done by
saving them into the personal workbook.

I have attempted to use the personal workbook in the past but presume i did
something wrong because every time I opened Excel, the personal workbook
opened and I had to hide it each time.

What's the best way to do this? Merging or Personal Workbook?

Thanks.
Louise

--

Dave Peterson