Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph David Biddulph is offline

Default How do I show only the whole number w/o eliminating four decim

Epinn,

The reason that it didn't round up in scenario 1 was that you are not
rounding from .5, but from .4567. Remember that the cell still contains the
full number, and the rounding (by cell format as controlled by the button)
only affects what is displayed. [You can go back to more decimal places by
the other button with the reverse function.]

If you want to change the value in the cell, use the ROUND() function.
--
David Biddulph

"Epinn" wrote in message
Yes, I also got 104,979 i.e. it was rounded.

However, I discovered something unexpected using that button. In
mathematics, I am used to .5 being rounded up. With the button, it is
inconsistent - sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Am I missing
something? I use V. 2003.

Scenario 1

1234.4567--1234.457--1234.46--1234.5--1234

..5 wasn't rounded up??

Scenario 2

1234.5000 (format = 4 decimal places) then use the button.

Result = 1235

I don't understand this inconsistency and I don't feel comfortable using the
button. Well, another anomaly of Excel?

Appreciate any clarification or guidance.

Epinn

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
Well is should round. Are you sure you have $104,978.6849 ?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Dave F" wrote in message
Well, it doesn't round up on my machine. Not sure why.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Wouldn't that give $104,979, Dave?

I don't know what the OP meant by "We do not want to force all of these
cells", but I think he needs =INT(A1).
--
David Biddulph

"Dave F" wrote in message
The formatting toolbar has a button that allows you to decrease the
number
of
decimals. It looks like an arrow pointing to the right with a bunch of
zeroes on it...

Dave

"kell~0" wrote:

I need to show only the whole number, not the number resulting by
removing
the decimals. We do not want to force all of these cells.

So, if the number is $104,978.6849 it needs to show $104,978, not
$104,979

How do I do this?