Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Search for repeat words in Excel database

OK....here goes:

Q- why do you mention cell A5
A- Since you didn't indicate the range of your data list, I tried to make
the instructions easier by creating an example.

Q- why do you mention Row_65536? What is that in reference to?
A- Since I didn't know how large your data list was, I allowed for it to
extend to the last row of the worksheet. So, keeping with my example, if the
data list was in columns A through D, the I allowed for the matched items to
be anywhere in the range A5:D65536

Q- It is not clear to me where I type the word/phrase that I am looking for
A- The method I posted uses Conditional Formatting to highlight matched
items. Instead of having you re-select the data list and re-create the
condition, I had all CF cells compare themselves to the value in cell A1.
So...if you type a value in cell A1, data list cells that match that value
will highlight.

Post back with any other questions.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Jackpine" wrote:

Ron, I don't understand the following from your message:

- why do you mention Row_65536? What is that in reference to?

- why do you mention cell A5?

- It is not clear to me where I type the word/phrase that I am looking for.

Thanks.
--
Not all those who wander are lost.

J. R. R. Tolkein

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Maybe something like this:

Put the search word or phrase in cell A1

Then
Select the database range
or
select from the upper-left cell of the database
across to the upper-right cell of the datase
and down through Row_65536
with the upper-left cell of the selected range active
(Assuming A5 is that cell)

Then
From the Excel main menu:
<format<conditional formatting
Formula is: =COUNTIF(A5,$A$1)
Click the [format] button and set the highlight
Click the [OK] buttons to finish

Now..all matched cells in the DB will highlight

NOTES:
If A1 begins with an asterisk (*).....the match is for "ends with"
*widget

If A1 ends with an asterisk (*).....the match is for "begins with"
widget*

If A1 begins AND ends with an asterisk (*).....the match is for "contains"
*widget*

If A1 DOES NOT use an asterisk (*).....the match is for the entered text
widget

Is that something you can work with?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Jackpine" wrote:

I have created a database in Excel that contains only text. Is there any way
that I can search for a particular word or phrase in the entire database and
have it displayed (by highlighting it for example)?

Thanks.