Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
price guy price guy is offline

Default using two drop downs with a vlook up formula

thank you.

Regarding the ranges you have C1:100, A1:A100 etc,

columns a,b, c would be which variable? the drop down with three options?

thanks

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Assuming your dopdown criteria in C1 & D1

=INDEX(C1:C100,MATCH(1,(A1:A100=C1)*(B1:B100=D1),0 )

ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter
Adjust to suit your needed

"price guy" wrote:

Hello;
I have two dropdowns that I want to use as criteria of a lookup formula.
Based on user selections, I want the formula to lookup those values on a good
sized table on another sheet. The first drop down has six options (tiers 1-6)
and the second dropdown of usage values that has 3 values (teaching, admin,
research).

I have not been able to find a way to do that without having to do an if
formula for each of the multiple permutations of the two dropdowns: if(tier1
and teaching, (vlookup range), if(tier 2 and teaching...

I have to believe there is a better, more elegant way, but several hours of
looking hasn't found it, so I was hoping you gurus could help. Thanks in
advance.