Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Date function

Hi John

=YEAR(NOW())
or with
=NOW() entered into a cell, FormatCellsNumberCustom yyyy

Remember NOW() is volatile and your value will alter next year.

If you want to enter the fixed Date into a cell use Control + semicolon
(CTRL+;)
Again format the cell to just show yyyy
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"JohnU" wrote in message
I am using the NOW() function to insert the current date. This works
fine,
except I am attempting to extract only the year (i.e. 2007) from this
function.

The problem is that Excel expresses the value of the date as a number
(x
number of days from January 1, 1900). I can get the format to display
the
date in an mm/dd/yyyy format, I just can not extract the year all
alone. I
need to get the year by itself for another calculation.

Any ideas?