Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default Function to return formula

These are called XL 4.0 macros.

Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/seb4r

RD

"Edward" wrote in message
ups.com...
I tried your suggestion, and it works. Thanks.

Where can I get more information about similar functions?

This is new to me.

Thanks again,

Ed

RagDyeR wrote:
Caveat -

This should be used in XL02 or later.
Earlier versions *will* crash when copying this type of formula to other
WBs.
Can be used in earlier versions, as long as copying is restricted to
within
the existing WB.

Start my creating a 'named' formula that will return the actual formula
from
A1;

Click in B1, then,
<Insert <Name <Define,
In the "Names In Workbook" box, enter a short name, say
form
for formula.
In the "Refers To" box, replace whatever's there with this formula:
=GET.CELL(6,A1)
Then <OK

What you have now is a 'relative' *named formula* that when entered in
*any*
cell, will return the contents of the cell (text, data, formulas) from
the
*previous* column.

So, with A1 containing:

=A2+A3+A4

In B1 enter:

=form

To get the contents of A1.

--

HTH,

RD

"Edward" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the best way to return a cell's formula (using a function)?

I'm thinking along the lines of this (fictional) function:

=CELL("formula",A1)

TIA,

Ed