Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Excel Line Chart

Where is your data coming from? If you've imported it from somewhere, I
suspect that it came in as text and Excel does not interpret it as
numerical. This is the only way I can get anything similar to your bad
results.

In any of your charts, go to the Chart menu, select Source Data, and click
on the Series tab. How many series are listed? What are the indicated ranges
for Name, Values, and Category Axis Labels? If the Name includes more than a
single cell, or if there are more than one series, or if the Values and
Labels ranges are awry, it provides further backup to my hypothesis, that
your data are all categorical and not numerical.

Convert text to number using this procedu

Copy a blank cell
Select the cells to convert
Select Paste Special from Edit menu
Choose Operation - Add
Click OK

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Warp4Dennis" wrote in message

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Make sure you don't have blank spaces in your data range. Also make sure
that any numerical data is recognized by Excel as numeric (and not stored
as
text).

You may have to explicitly define the ranges used in the chart. From the
Chart menu, select Source Data, and click on the Series tab. Make sure
you
have as many series as you expect; delete any extras. Select a series,
then

Using the Chart Wizard form "Insert":
I don't seem to have any controll over the "series". For some reason the
Chart Wizard uses every value from the Spread Sheet as a series entry from
either Column one or Colum two so I have as a result 255 series.

use the Y Values and X Category Labels input boxes to select the
appropriate
ranges.

Labels are the least of my worys, I know how to change them. My questions
are; Why is the wrong scale used? Does the wrong scale prevent the "Data"
from being ploted? Does it matter when the scale is changed?

You may want to try this as an XY chart instead of a Line chart. The two
may
look similar, and you can make either connect the points with a line, but
they treat their X variable differently.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Warp4Dennis" wrote in message
I'm trying to print a Line Chart with data from a worksheet, but for
some
reason the data that I am using this time will not cooperate.
I want a Range on the left side of the page and the Date at the bottom.
The problem:
When I give the range with the Wizzard the points aren't not given as
points
in the table but are copied verbatum from the worksheet and placed
upabove
or
to the right of the Chart and the Range is given as 0.0 - 1.0.
I have had cases where the Line Chart is completly blank.
I suspect that the data worksheet may have something to do with it
because
have been able to get several worksheets to print as a Line Chart in
the
past
without too much difficulty.
Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Dear Sir:
I seem to be aimming at a moving target when I select the Chart Wizard
from
"Insert"!
The Excel spread sheet has three colums. Only
two of the three are of interest.
Colum one, which are 255 dates starting with the last day of the year and
decending to the first day of the year, exactly the opposite of how people
read charts and how I want them.
Colum two, which are 255 pieces of data in a range of numbers from 15.00
45.00.
For argument's sake let's say that I press F11.
The results are as follows;
At the top where the "Name" should be is the last entry in the spread
sheet
with the Date at the beginning separated from the Data with a space.
In the Right margin appears the same as the top or "Name".
The bottom is divided into exactly two parts with the name of Colum one
(Date) on the left side and the name of Colum two (Close) on the right.
I chose F11 because it seams to be the only repeatable method of using the
Cart Wizard. Using a Line chart or the XY chart makes no difference the
results are the same.
Selecting the Chart Wizard from "Insert" produces unpridictable results.