Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barbara Schneier Barbara Schneier is offline

Default Index and Match Formula

Hi Jason,

Sorry for the confusion. Worksheet 2's Current Value column will have
the same numbers listed multiple times, and each time it needs to be
matched to the same value listed in Worksheet 1's Current Value column.

The Proposed value has to be from worksheet 1 and put into worksheet 2's
Proposed Value column (as shown there are no values in worksheet 2).

Barbara

Jason Lepack wrote:
I can't wrap my head around this. If you match from worksheet 2 to
worksheet 1 then you want find only one match. 0301.99.00 occurs 3
times in sheet 1? Which proposed value should go in sheet 2?

Cheers,
Jason Lepack

Barbara Schneier wrote:
I have two columns in worksheet Number 1 (1607 rows) as follows:

Current Value Proposed Value

0105.92.00 0105.94.00.00
0105.93.00 0105.94.00.00
0208.20.00 0208.90.25.00
0301.99.00 0301.94.00.00
0301.99.00 0301.95.00.00
0301.99.00 0301.99.01
0302.69.20 0302.67.00
0302.69.40 0302.69.50
0302.69.40 0302.68.00
0303.50.00 0303.51.00.00
0303.60.00 0303.52.00
0303.79.20 0303.79.00
0303.79.20 0303.61.00
0303.79.40 0303.79.00
0303.79.40 0303.62.00
0304.10.10 0304.19.00

I have 23 Columns in Worksheet Number 2 (42 Rows).

In this worksheet there are 2 columns as follows

Current Value Proposed Value

0105.92.00
0301.99.00
0302.69.40
0303.50.00
0303.79.20
2513.11.00
2513.19.00
2920.10.30
2920.10.40
2920.10.50
2921.12.00

I need to lookup and match the Current Value column in the 2 worksheets
and when there is a match, but no change in value in the Proposed Value
Column in the Worksheet 1 to put the words "No Change" in the Proposed
Value cell for that match in Worksheet 2.

But

If there is a change in Worksheet 1's Proposed Value for that match to
insert the Proposed Value in Worksheet 2's Proposed Value for that match.

I cannot fit all the pieces together. I tried an index and match
formula as follows:

=INDEX(B5:B1607,MATCH(D5,A5:A1607,0)), which seemed to work, but I do
not know how to include if no change in proposed value to insert "No
Change."

In testing the Index and match I copied the 2 columns in Worksheet 1 to
Worksheet 2. Do all columns need to be in the same worksheet?

I found the following example for the "No Change:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(5,A2:E7,2,FALSE)) = TRUE, "Employee not found",
VLOOKUP(5,A2:E7,2,FALSE)), but do not know who to write and incorporate
it with the index and match formula.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me as I need to be able to
begin work on a project this coming Monday.

--
Barbara