Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph David Biddulph is offline

Default Formula Replication

You need to look at the difference between absolute and relative references.
You've got absolute addresses, as Don suggested.

If you're using R1C1 cell references, then if you go into your formula bar
and while in your formula select the range R5C1:R5C3, it will, by default,
show as RC[-3]:RC[-1], so your formula will become
=IF(SUM(RC[-3]:RC[-1])="","",SUM(RC[-3]:RC[-1])) {which are relative
references, the equivalent of the cell reference defaulting to not having
the $ for an absolute reference in the A1 style}and hence if you drag down
it will continue to refer to RC[-3]:RC[-1].

As when using the A1 reference style, if, in the formula bar, you select a
cell reference, f4 will toggle between the various absolute and relative