Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hide certain characters in a cell

If you have no "internal" *, then we can make them all vanish as follows:

Edit Replace
in the Find what field enter:
~*
leave the Replace with field blank
then Replace all
--
Gary's Student

"Julia" wrote:

Thanks for the assistance...not sure this is working for what I need
though...currently I have 2 workbooks. In workbook # 2, I have a formula to
copy a cell from workbook # 1. In workbook # 1 it is actually a barcode but
in workbook # 2 it is just test. It all copies over without a problem but
when it copies over, it shows the * at the beginning and end of the test (in
workbook # 2). The * must be there on the bar-code so I can't remove it
there. When it copies to workbook # 2, I need the * to not show. This
applies to multiple cells on a document so I don't want to have to change the
colour to match the background every time...I am trying to figure a way to
just have it either not show or be removed automatically when copied over.
Any ideas?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Two ways:

if you want to remove the * then use something like:=MID(A1,2,LEN(A1)-2)

if you just want to "hide" the *, then select the * in the formula bar and
format that character to have the same font color as the background.

--
Gary's Student

"Julia" wrote:

I have copied a cell from one workbook to another. When it copies over it is
accurate and shows an * at the beginning and end (which is how it shows in
the first workbook). In the second workbook, I don't want these * to show.
Is there way that I can automatically hide this.