Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
a-one-and-a-two a-one-and-a-two is offline

Default How do I get data validation to disallow specific entries

I am not getting any data entry error message at all when using the formulas
below and entering the "bad" names. One question to help me understand:what
do you mean make sure K1 is the active cell? I want the validation to apply
to the entire column.
P.S. I did not mention that I am using excel 2000, if that matters.

"David Billigmeier" wrote:

Yes, As T. Valko said you CANNOT use array functions in data validation, so
Harlan's post will not work. My original post will work, I'll update to
correspond to your range and values:

Highlight the entire column K and enter either of the following (make sure
K1 is the active cell):
=NOT(OR(K1="Brown",K1="Duffy"))
=AND(K1<"Brown",K1<"Duffy")

Dave

"a-one-and-a-two" wrote:

Having a little trouble here...Am I using incorrect syntax? I am validating
column K in my worksheet, so I highlight the entire column, then for my
formula I am typing =AND(K:K<{"Brown";"Duffy"}), where Brown & Duffy are two
of the words I don't want to allow as entries.
I keep getting error that says "you may not use unions, intersections, or
arrray constants for data validation criteria" (!!!!!)
thanks.

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

David Billigmeier wrote...
=NOT(OR(A1="text1",A1="text2"))