Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
LAndersen LAndersen is offline

Default cutting characters from a cell

No - using "left" will not work. I could cut the first 14 characters in the
cell and be left with the variable number of characters on the right, but I
can't remember what the function is to do this. Basically, I don't want
anything copied from the cell - I want the first 14 characters actually cut
out.

Thanks for your help!!

"Elkar" wrote:

How about the LEFT?

=LEFT(A1,14)

HTH,
Elkar

"LAndersen" wrote:

i need to cut the first 14 characters from a text string - for instance I
need to return "E-100-250-4332" from "E-100-250-4332 Rental Expense". I
can't use the function "Right" as the right part of the cell is a variable
number of characters.

Thanks for your help!!!