Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Billigmeier David Billigmeier is offline

Default How do I get data validation to disallow specific entries

Select your cell (assume A1 for this example)
<Data<Validation
In the "Allow:" drop down box choose "Custom"
Enter the following formula. Change text1 and text2 to the values you don't
want to allow, or you can add as many other conditions as you wish.

=NOT(OR(A1="text1",A1="text2"))

Dave

"a-one-and-a-two" wrote:

Hi,
This may be obvious, but not to me...
I want to prevent a few specific words from being entered in a column, but
except for these exclusions, anything goes. I have only been able to figure
out how I can ALLOW certain entries in a list, but this is kind of the
reverse situation. Any ideas?