Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] technicaltitch1@gmail.com is offline

Default Prevent Excel putting full filename in external links on update

Hi

I have a spreadsheet that has lots of links to another spreadsheet.
When I create and save it, it uses the filename with no path, and works
fine.

However when I close and reopen it, whether I update or not, if the
original file is not open, it adds the full path to all the filenames.
The formulae are then too long for Excel, and all the formulae become
errors.

Is there any way I can stop Excel doing this?

Thanks enormously for any help with this - this is my last ditch
attempt at saving a big voluntary Oxfam project...!!
Chris

PS. I'm using Excel 2003 on Win XP

PPS. The reason I need to do this is that the sheets are too complex to
put in one file - recalc takes several minutes.

PPPS. Possibly relevant - I create the sheets by cutting and pasting
sheets from a unified sheet, which automatically adds the filename
(without the path).