Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Vasilis Tergen Vasilis Tergen is offline

Default A rather difficult & complex stats. search formula needed (Part 1)

[The following message isn't a reply, but rather a correction of a previous
question
posted under an almost identical Subject name, ommitting the: "(Part 1)". ]

I have a worksheet ("Sheet 1") containing 10.000 rows of text,
covering columns A to V.
In another worksheet ("Sheet 2") of the same workbook, I've created a table
which contains statistics regarding those 10.000 rows.
The amount of statistics included in this table is too large to mention here.
There are 2 pieces of statistics however, which I've been unable to include
in the table:

A) Statistic (Formula) 1 needed:
a. Columns F & H of Sheet 1, contain names which can appear either
on column F or H, but never simultaneously on the same row.
Ex: Row 20, may contain "Larry" on column F & "John" on column
H.
There will never be a row however, containing, say "Larry" on
both: columns F & H, simultaneously.
b. Column I will always contain one of either of the following words:
"IN" or "OUT" or "GO".
c. I need to be able to figure out whenever, say "Larry" appears on
column F,
what happens to column I.
d. Ex: Say that "Larry" appears on ROW 20 of column F, and that on
the same row, column I reads: "IN".

The needed formula would ideally tell me that (Ex):

I) Throughout 10.000 rows, "Larry" appeared 200 times.
&
II) Of those appearances, column I, read:
i) "IN": (Ex) 60 times
ii) "OUT": (Ex) 40 times
iii) "GO": (Ex) 100 times