Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default Find text and return - NOOB question

Appreciate the feed-back.

RD

"rapid1" wrote in message
That's got it, thanks RD! I knew it had to be something simple!

Ray

"RagDyer" wrote:

It sound to me that you might be able to use a simple Vlookup with
wildcards, as long as you're only looking for a *single* match.

Say you have a list in Y1 to Z100, with *full* (complete) company names in
Y1 to Y100, and information pertaining to that company in Z1 to Z100.
You want to return that info from the second (Z) column.

You have an abbreviated name list in say A1 ... down to whatever.

In B1 try something like this:

=VLOOKUP("*"&A1&"*",$Y$1:$Z$100,2,0)

And copy down as needed.
--