Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
rapid1 rapid1 is offline

Default Find text and return - NOOB question

Hi Ron

Okay, I see that and see how it works. Now, how do I search a range? As in
the previous case, (A1) is ADVAN, (B434) is ADVANTAGE but I don't know that -
I need to search all of (B) to find (B434). Plus, there may be more than 1
occurrence of (A1).

Ray

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

Ray

=SEARCH(A1,B434)

will return a 1.

Or you could do something like:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,B434)),TRUE)

which will return TRUE.

If the contents of A1 are not found in B434, then the first formula will return
#VALUE!, the second would return FALSE.

However, if A1 is empty, or contains, for example, VAN, or TAG, or AD, or AGE,
then the formula will also return a 1.

You could easily test for A1 being empty.

How to find the "best match" is more difficult.
--ron