Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Find text and return - NOOB question

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:01:02 -0800, rapid1
wrote:

I'm sure there's a simple answer for this, but I've searched for the better
part of 2 hours now and can't find what I'm looking for - any help will be
greatly appreciated! Anyway, I have 2 sheets that contain customer names -
one is a master list, the other new additions - I need to make sure there are
no customers on the new addition sheet that already exist on the master
sheet. Since the names may not be formatted the same, I used =LEFT to pull
out a portion of each name on the new additions sheet. What I can't figure
out is how to tell Excel to search the master sheet for the text in the
additions sheet.
Additions sheet:
2 ADVANCED I

Master sheet:
3580 123456 ADVANCED INDUSTRIAL SERVICES

So on the additions sheet I need to find ADVANCED I within column G on the
master and return the value for column A that corresponds to the name in G.

Did I evplain that okay?

Some variation of:

=IF(ISERR(SEARCH(A1,'Master List'!$A$1:$A$100)),
"Not on Master List","ON master list")

Should let you search an array to see if a particular string is present.

For A1, substitute the string you are searching for.

--ron