Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default Getting around 'IF"

Hi Ragdyer,

Personally I like VLOOKUP however it can be done with IF by expanding the
idea shown below:

=IF(H1<50,"F","")&IF(AND(H149,H1<55),"D","")

You will also be able to do it in 2007 with nested IF's since you will be
allowed 50 levels deep of nesting if my memory servers me.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Forgot to include absolute references in the last formula to enable copying:

=IF(D1,LOOKUP(D1,$Y$1:$Z$11),"")

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
You can have a datalist in an "out-of-the-way" location on your WS, or you
can incorporate it within the formula itself.

Say the number grades were in Column D, from D1 down.

Enter this in E1:

=IF(D1,LOOKUP(D1,{0,50,55,60,64,68,72,76,80,85,90; "F","D","C-","C","C+","B-"
,"B","B+","A-","A","A+"}),"")
And copy down as needed.

To use a datalist, enter this in say Y1 to Z11:

Y Z

0 F
50 D
55 C-
60 C
64 C+
68 B-
72 B
76 B+
80 A-
85 A
90 A+

And then enter this formula in E1, and copy down:

=IF(D1,LOOKUP(D1,Y1:Z11),"")

--
HTH,

RD

-

-
"Dr Traffic" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to calculate a letter grades based on marks. The letter grades
are divided up into a group of 10.

F 0 to 49
D 50 to 54
C- 55 to 59
C 60 to 63
C+ 64 to 67
B- 68 to 71
B 72 to 75
B+ 76 to 79
A- 80 to 84
A 85 to 90
A+ 90 to 100

"IF" only allows 7 functions. How can I get around this restriciton?
I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to formula's so a bit of an
example would be a great help.

Thanks Rick