Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Unwanted decimal places when entering integers

Hi Alex

You're very welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
As to why it happened, I'm not sure.
Very Happy New Year to you.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Alex Bell" wrote in message
Ken Johnson wrote:
Alex Bell wrote:
Forgive me if this is not the correct group for this problem; if it
isn't please tell me where to go.

I have been using a particular spreadsheet for 3-4 years and was
able to
enter integers into a column of cells, and having formatted the
cells as
numbers having no decimal place have them show as integers and
behave as
integers in formulae.

Some weeks ago for reasons entirely unknown to me Excel insists on
dividing the numbers by 100 so that e.g. 1 becomes 0.01; it shows as
0
if I format the cell as an integer but acts like a 0.01 in formulae.
Excel also does this in new spreadsheets.

I have noticed some weird things about this problem, in particular
that
the same spreadsheet run on another computer behaves the way it was
originally designed to - i.e, when I enter 1 I get 1. The problem
is
not present when I run Excel in safe mode or when I run Windows XP
in
safe mode, but it is very inconvenient to run Excel in safe mode and
shouldn't have to anyway. I have checked for add-ons for Excel but
they
there don't seem to be any.

I don't get the problem when I run the spreadsheet under OpenOffice
Calc
as an Excel program, but I'd like to be able to run it under Excel.

Can anyone help please or point me to a document in the Microsoft
labyrinth?

--
Regards, Alex

Hi Alex,

Check this...

Tools|Options|Edit|Fixed Decimal Places should NOT be ticked.

Ken Johnson

Many thanks to you both. It's so simple if one knows what one is
doing. Any ideas why it suddenly changed? I seem to remember that I
upgraded around the same time.

--
Regards, Alex