Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default "Help" links don't work in Excel

If you don't find something helpful on google, you may want to post in a
newsgroup dedicated to windows.

Be sure to give them the version of windows you're running, too.

Dave Peterson wrote:

I'm not sure I would jump to reinstall windows either. But if you're missing
hhctrl.ocx, you might be missing more files and reinstalling windows could be
the easiest/safest way to go.

But I'd look for hhctrl.ocx on my harddrive. (Windows start button|search).

For me (winxp home), I found it he
c:\windows\system32

If you don't find it there, maybe you can find it in one of the .CAB files on
your Windows CD and extract and copy it there--(or "borrow" it from another pc
running the same version of windows????).

After that, you'll want to make sure that windows sees it--you'll have to
register it with windows.

Windows start button|Run
type this:
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx
(Change the location as required)

And see if it works.

Failing that, I'd go to Google Groups and search for "missing hhctrl"

You'll find lots of hits with lots of suggestions.

In fact, you may want to visit google first--to see if you see a better
suggestion.

Spoonbill wrote:

When I try to search help - either online or offline - clicking links to the
desired info doesn't work. By trying to contact tech support, I can see that
I am missing the file "hhctrl.ocx" in Windows, with the suggestion that I
re-install Windows.

My question is: do I need to do anything to protect My Documents or other
items like OUtlook.pst before I go about re-installing Windows?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson