Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs daddylonglegs is offline

Default VLookup problems...

Exactly, Conan, thank you

btw - I'm a he - otherwise I'd be mummylonglegs !!

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

RagDyeR,

daddylonglegs is refering to Cell B59856 (or the value in this cell) and not
the actual text/string of "B59856".

So with the formula he/she posted, they are testing whether the value in
cell B59856 is a number or not.

HTH,

Conan
"RagDyeR" wrote in message
.. .
How would B59856 *ever* be a number ... if that's what you see in the
formula bar?

RD

"daddylonglegs" wrote in message
Assuming defined range clear is correctly defined then most common cause
of
what you describe is data mismatch. If B59856 is a numeric value, not
text,
then the lookup range should be too.Test with

=ISNUMBER(B59856) and

=ISNUMBER(X288)

where X288 is the cell that should match B59856, do you get TRUE for both?

"Tossaire" wrote:

have been using Vlookup to reference a 2nd sheet to verify cashed checks
based on the check number on the first sheet. using
=VLOOKUP(B59856,CLEAR,2,FALSE)
which has been working fine. the spreadsheet breaks 40k lines and is
excell
2000 so just to be sure it wasn't a memory problem or anything like that
split it for a new spread and it's under 8k lines for the formula. for
some
reason the formula comes up with n/a's for results even though there are
exact matched on the other sheet...ideas?