Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Conan Kelly Conan Kelly is offline

Default External cell references using INDIRECT & ADDRESS

Hello all,

If I put an external cell reference (a reference to a cell in another file)
in a cell, I do not need that workbook open in order for that value to be
updated.

But (and correct me if I'm wrong) if I create an external cell reference in
a cell using INDIRECT()/ADDRESS() functions, I *DO* need the file open in
order for the values to be updated/recalculated.

Is there any way around this?

I want to create the external cell reference using INDIRECT (other cells on
the worksheet will have the file name, sheet name, columns & rows as their
values) *WITHOUT* having to open the other files in order to get the cells
to recalculate/update.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly