Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ankur Ankur is offline

Default My question is more complex. Let me explain.

Let me start from Scenario Summary (Tools, Scenarios, Summary). Lets say I
have three scenarios: "Good", "Normal" and "Bad" and I generate scenario
summary using Summary option in Scenarios as follows:

Scenario Summary
Current Normal Bad Good
Changing Cells:
Cost 10 10 10 10
Price 12 13 11 15
Demand 4.4 4.4 4 5
Result Cells:
Margin 21% 21% 17% 25%
Profit 96 96 48 96

The Result Cells are linked with Changing Cells in other sheets through
various formulas, lookups and IF conditions - my Excel model.

The problems I have here are these two:

1. If I change Cost under Normal, the Result Cells under Normal (Margin and
Profit) do not change (because they are not linked through a formula anymore
on this summary table).

2. It is tedious to create many scenarios using Tools, Scenarios, Add
button. I already have a table for many more cases (beyond Normal, Good, Bad)
for which I need to generate results using the Excel model I already have.

Both of these problems can be solved if there is a way I can convert my
Excel model into a function or a formula. The Excel model I have is far too
complicated to be reduced to a single formula expression.

"Billy Liddel" wrote:

Starting from scratch - formulas will produce different results depending on
the variables so if you change one you will get a different answer. You can
create a table by entering the variables putting in a formula in the top row
and copying it down.
Here are 4 tables

Cost Qty Price X Y=X^2 z=(X+Y)^3
23.56 10 235.6 1 1 8
23.56 11 259.16 2 4 216
20.5 10 205 3 9 1728

X Y=X^2 z=X^3 X Y=X^2 z=(X+Y)^3
1 1 1 1 1 8
2 4 8 2 216
3 9 27 3 9 1728

Table 4 is the only interesting one where it will still produce a result if
y = X^2 has been omitted.

Entered in G7 =IF((E7+F7)0,(E7+F7)^3,(E7+E7^2)^3)

Models are different, call them via Tools, Scenarios you can then give one a
name say Normal for your current X values, then create another say Hi and add
in you new X values.

When you have added all your models you can then switch view Tools,
Scenarios, Select View and click the Show button.

Hope this helps
Peter