Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Using "D"functions

All you said is true but I find the array formula easier. Or, when the
situation allows, Sumproduct is easier.

Biff

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Actually once you get the hang of it they are very efficient albeit clumsy
to set up, they are also much faster than an array formula
if the data set is large. By learning them you'll also learn the advanced
filter which uses the same type of criteria

Peo Sjoblom

T. Valko wrote:
The "D" functions are "too confusing"!

Try this entered as an array using the key combination of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER):

=AVERAGE(IF((A7:A13=A1)*(A7:A13<=A2),C7:C13))

The result is -3.98 not -3.83.

Format the cell in the negative style of your choice.

Biff

"JR Hester" wrote in message
I am attempting to use Dsum and Daverage with a date range. Below is
sample
of the data I have defined ranges named CRITERION as A1:c3, Variances as
A6:C13. My formula is =Daverage(Variances, 3, Criterion). This works for
individuals in name column, but not for the date values I have entered
here.
Trying to get all March entries,
#1. can you show me the error of my way?
#2 Is it possible to use actual cell references instead of named ranges
define the criterion data?

A B C
1 Date Name Variance
2 =3/01/06
3 <=3/31/06
4
5
6 Date Name Variance
7 3/15/06 Fred $(12.23) Subtotal $(26.82)
8 4/12/06 Julie $15.85 Average $(3.83)
9 3/18/06 Poncho $3.35 Count 7
10 5/10/06 Fred $(31.90)
11 3/30/06 Julie $(19.85)