Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Paul B Paul B is offline

Default Formatting today()

LurfysMa, something like this
="Printed on: " & TEXT(TODAY(), "MM/DD/YY")

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
I want to generate the text: "Printed on mm/dd/yy." where "mm/dd/yy"
is replaced by the value from today().

If I put "today()" in a cell by itself, it displays as 12/24/06.

But if I enter this code:

=CONCATENATE("Printed on ",TODAY())

it displays as: "Printed on 39075.".

The only solution I could come up with is:

=CONCATENATE("Printed on
",MONTH(TODAY()),"/",DAY(TODAY()),"/",YEAR(TODAY()),".")

which is ugly.

Is there no "format" function that would allow me to write something
like this:

=CONCATENATE("Printed on ",FORMAT(TODAY(),"U"))

where the "U" is short for USA format (mm/dd/yy)?

Ideally, the Today function would have accepted a format parameter,
like =today("U").

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000