Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Default Adding noncontiguous cells

Hi, JMB, thanks for your response. That's a really great idea to enclose
arguments in parentheses like that to be able to add more. It's a good tip
to remember. :) Thanks again!

"JMB" wrote:

Dave's solution is much simpler and easier to maintain, but just as a side
note, Sum can accept more than 30 cell/range references. For example:

=SUM((A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8,A9,A10,A11,A12,A13,A 14,A15,A16,A17,A18,A19,A20,A21,A22,A23,A24,A25,A26 ,A27,A28,A29,A30,A31,A32,A33,A34,A35,A36,A37,A38,A 39),A40)

By enclosing the first 39 cell references in ( ), they are treated as one
argument. A40 is actually the second argument.

"FJ" wrote:

Hi, I have a huge spreadsheet with over 250 columns. There are over 40
columns with the heading "Sales" and I have to add the numbers under each of
the "Sales" headings together. Does anyone know the best way to do this?
Clicking on every cell is timeconsuming, but even trying that doesn't work
because apparently there is a limit to how much Excel will accept in a SUM
formulas of that nature. Is there a way to do this using SUMIF to specify
adding only the numbers under the "Sales" headings or any other way?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.