Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tampa Tom Tampa Tom is offline

Default Does anyone have a military draft simulator?

Thanks for that tip! The only problem, of course, is that with the potential
to place the same # by different dates, we might have two #21 draft
birthdates (for example). Is there anyway to let the program know a number
has been used so it won't get picked again?

"John Bundy" wrote:

Also be warned that since it is random it could put the same number more than
once. And you will want to copy Paste Special Values because they will
recalculate every time the sheet recalculates.
--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"John Bundy" wrote:

Install the analysis toolpack if it is not already(Tools-Add-In)
You can use =RANDBETWEEN(1,365) to randomly select a number between 1 and 365

--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"Tampa Tom" wrote:

I'm a history teacher, and I wanted to conduct a 'mock' military draft for my
students to show how the draft process would work.

Effectively, the process requires someone to pick a date and a number
randomly out of two separate barrels. (Say January 5 and 137). That would
mean that everyone with a January 5 birthday would be called up in the 137th
group.

I have an excel sheet set up with the months and days, but I need to figure
how to assign the numbers (1 - 365) to each of those dates 'randomly'.

Thanks for your help.