Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default fill a cell based on another cell

Almost there.

=IF(A4="DL","DL1","IL1")

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Debbie" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the "IF" function.
I can't use the VLOOKUP, it won't work here.

Here's what I have:

Cell A4=DL or IL
Here's the forumla I'm trying to use:
In cell b3 "=IF(A4=DL,DL1,IL1)", then I tried =IF(A4=DL,"DL1","IL1") then
finally I tried =IF((A4=DL),"DL1","IL1")
Which if I undertstand correctly would fill in Cell B3 with a DL1 if DL is
entered into cell A4 else IL1 defaults.
However, in attempting this I get: #VALUE! regardless of which "formula" I
tried to use.

I don't see how I can use VLOOKUP because:
I need to distinguish my cells first.
Here's my table:

IL IL1 0001-employee benefit1
IL IL2 0002-employee benefit2
IL IL3 0003-employee benefit3
etc,
etc,
etc,
etc.

If I select IL in cell A4 and I attempt to use VLOOKUP I would need IL in
the first column of my table. However, if I have 6 rows I want to fill
based
on my selection in Cell A4, IL in the first column would results in the
first
finding of IL and all 6 rows would fill with the first row's findings.

Help!!??
Please!!??

Thanks!!

ExcelBanter Database Error
Database Error Database error
The ExcelBanter database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.excelbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.excelbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.