Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
macropod macropod is offline

Default Splitting column with text & numbers

Hi,

Suppose your alpha-numeric string is in A1. If you put the following *array* formula in C1, it'll extract just the numbers from A1:
=--RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-MIN(IF(ISNUMBER((--MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1))),(ROW(INDIR ECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))),""))+1)
Then, you can use the following *standard* formula in B1 to extract just the letters from A1:
=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-LEN(C1))

An array formula is created via the Ctrl-Shift-Enter key comination, whereas a standard formula is created via the Enter key alone.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]