Tom B

Default Excel will not accept data to add a column

I have a column of data I need to add with Excel. The data is available to
the public on the Internet as an HTML document (originally a .zip file). The
..html file is shown in Windows Explorer with a Windows Internet Explorer
symbol.

The data is shown by Excel as a spreadsheet with 6 columns. It is possible
to move the Excel columns around so they appear to line up with the data.
Even though it 'appears' to be a normal spreadsheet, Excel will not add
anything. The data is treated as text. Attempting to add the cells results in
a total of 0. I have not been able to work out changing any of the columns to
a format where the numbers can be added.

I'm a beginner at this, but thought I understood that what you see is what
you get - - apparently Not.

I've also tried copying portions of the .html file and saving it as a .txt
file with Wordpad. However this will not import as anything that appears
compatible with an Excel spreadsheet.

At one point I found a "text import wizard" that appeared to work on part of
the data - - but I can not find a way to access it again, and the terms do
not appear in the Excel help file.

What is the best approach for this?

(This is Excel 2002, SP3, running with Windows XP Professional, Service Pack
2)