Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Data Validation - Dependent Lists & Conditional Formatting

Thanks for the feedback, Bob.....I'm glad you got that working.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Bob" wrote:

Ron,
Thank you for providing a solution to my problem. Unfortunately, I could
not seem to get it to work. After some lengthly experimentation, I came up
with my own solution:

=ISNA(INDEX(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP($A2,PhaseLookup,2,0)) ,MATCH($B2,INDIRECT(VLOOKUP($A2,PhaseLookup,2,0)), 0),1))

whe
Column A (starting in row 2) contains the in-cell dropdown box for the
parent list
Column B (starting in row 2) contains the in-cell dropdown box for the
dependent list

Please note that since I am "Using Items with Illegal Characters" (refer to
Debra Dalgleish's Contextures website), I had to create a lookup table.

Bob

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

First, thanks for visiting Debra Dalgleish's Contextures website for
instructions on Dependent Lists. Now, I have a lot less expaining to do.

Since the dependent list is based on a Named List, try this:
With
A1 containing the parent list
B1 containing the dependent list
and the Named list: MyNamedList

Then
Select B1
<format<conditional formatting
Formula is: =ISERROR(MATCH($B$1,MyNamedList,0))
Click the [format] button and set your format
Click the [OK] buttons and you're done.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Bob" wrote:

Using Data Validation, I have created a dependent list (based on instructions
found on the Contextures web site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html).
I want to create a conditional format whereby if someone changes the
selection in the first data validation list without changing the
corresponding selection in the dependent list (i.e., second list), the cell
value in the dependent list will turn red.
Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?
Thanks, Bob