Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to use a right formula on a date-format

You are very welcome!

The alternative is:
=RIGHT(TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy"),4)
--
Gary's Student

"Heine" wrote:

Thanks - much better idea. Works like a charm.

Best regards

Heine
Gary''s Student wrote:
Use =YEAR(A1) rather than =RIGHT(A1,4). If you want to use RIGHT then you
must also use TEXT.
--
Gary's Student

"Heine" wrote:

Hi everybody,

My problem is this. I have a lot of cells containing dates 06-06-2006
etc. They are in a date format. I want the next column to only return
the year i.e. 2006 in the above exampel. I tried the right formula -
but that only returns the corresponding number (corresponding to the
date) - any ideas?

Regards
Heine