Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tarzan tarzan is offline

Default Finding cells that contain an apostrophe

hi, Bob.
Do you know that ' is a escape character in excel?
That is, if you want to input a value in which ' is the first character, you
need to enter '' (two apostrophes) for one ', and ''' for two ', and so on.
Here, the first one of ' is used for escape character.
Well, if you want to find character ' with the find dialog box, you needn't
to use "'", just use '.
Hope it helps.

"Bob" wrote:

I am trying to locate cells that contain an apostrophe as the first character
in the cell. When using Excel's Find command, I input "'" (double quotes,
apostrophe, double quotes) as the search criteria, but Excel can't seem to
find any (even though I know for a fact that there are cells that contain an
apostrophe).
Can anyone tell me what search criteria I should be using?
Thanks,
Bob