Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default INDIRECT.EXT with vector reference

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 06:37:00 -0800, hmm wrote:

INDIRECT.EXT, from Laurent Longre's Morefunc 4.2 Add-in, is giving me a
"#VALUE!" error message in the cell with the formula:

=SUM(INDIRECT.EXT("[MyBook.xls]MySheet!$A$1:$A$3"))

when MyBook.xls is closed; it only works when I open MyBook.xls.

From what I've seen in the help file and other posts in this forum, it is
supposed to work for closed workbooks and for ranges of cells.

How can I get it to work? Perhaps there is an update, or a way of using
this function that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

I believe the problem is your syntax. You included the function required
double quotes, but omitted the "single quotes" that are part of the Excel
required naming convention.

=SUM(INDIRECT.EXT("'[MyBook.xls]MySheet'!$A$1:$A$3"))

Also, although you did not mention it one way or the other, I believe the
formula you posted will execute faster as an array formula.

--ron