Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sierra Vista Steve Sierra Vista Steve is offline

Default Counting a mixed text/number column based on text in another colum

I just can't get the syntax right! I am looking for a formula for analyzing
read: summing a spreadsheet function based on the contents in another column.
In the example that follows, I need to count Apple, Orange or Pear based on
whether Apple, Orange or Pear is in V4 or V5 listed in another column.

Column
Row E F G
1 SS-Apple-0145 V4
2 SS-Orange-0134 V5
3 SS-Pear-0123 V4
4 SS-Apple-0146 V5
5 SS-Apple-0147 V4
6 SS-Apple-0148 V5
7 SS-Apple-0149 V4

I would like the results to be listed as follows
V4 V5
Apples 3 2
Orange 5
Pear 1

I'm able to sum the number of Apple in column E but I'm unable to sum Apple
based on if the apple is in V4 or V5.

Here is my last failed attempt: Where "Draft" is the E column Range and
Version is the range I defined for column F. This formula just returns the
total Apple in column E.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

r/

Steve in Arizona

=COUNTIF(Draft,"*Apple*")+COUNTIF(Version,V4)