Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
frosterrj frosterrj is offline

Default Extracting text from cells

I am trying to create a formula that looks at the contents of a cell and
tries to match several (only one per cell) text strings, and print that in
the cell.

For example I have cell A1, A2 containing the following:
yada yada Ham yada yada
bobblede bobblede Turkey bobblede bobblde

I need a formula that says: search a1, find "Ham", print "Ham", find
"Turkey", print "Turkey".

Find function doesnt work with more than one argument, and combining Search
with iserror with multiple arguments isnt working either. I have tried the
following fromulas with only partial success:

=IF(FIND("HAM",A19),"HAM","") - only works with one argument
=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("TURKEY",A9,1)),"","Turkey") - also can only get one
argument to work.

Thanks for any help you can give...

Robert