Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Macro to create a new folder according to the month

I noticed the lack of the "\" between myNewFolder and myMonth - I took it
that you just wanted a really odd looking file (folder) name. Kassie's
explanation of why you got the 1004 error once you added that into the fully
formed path is right on target -

You can use DIR to test to see if the folder exists, and if not, then use
MkDir to create it before doing the save.

"Dolphin" wrote:

Hi,

Cell C4 is a date format. The macro works well if I do not add the
myNewFolder in. Upon adding it in (and include your comment whereby I should
add "\"), I was given a runtime error 1004. Why is this so?

Regards,
Dolphin

"kassie" wrote:

I notice there is no \ between your folder name and file name?

myFilnename="M:\RECONCILIATIONS\" & myNewFolder & "\" & myMonth &
"SG51-1421000"
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman

"JLatham" wrote:

You didn't tell us what is in C4 when this is run. Make sure that what is in
C4 is actually a date, and that C4 is formatted as a date. Basically your
code works for me with that stipulation.

"Dolphin" wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to have my macro to save my file into a new folder according to the
month it was for (ie, a new folder will be created every month). My macro
goes like this, but it can't seem to work:

Dim myMonth As String
Dim myNewFolder As String

myMonth = Format(Range("c4"), "yymm")
myNewFolder = Format(Range("c4"), "MMM")
myFileName = "M:\RECONCILIATIONS\" & myNewFolder & myMonth & "
SG51-1421000"
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=myFileName, FileFormat:=xlWorkbookNormal

Thanks,
Dolphin