Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
crowzhome crowzhome is offline

Default How can I advance to the next field automatically?

I know, it is driving me crazy. I was hoping it would be in the validation
option when I defined the field with one character. Too bad there isn't a
check box that states move to next unlocked cell. I guess that would be too
simple.

If you find anything out, please let me know.

"JLatham" wrote:

I'll be watching this one - it's related to a feature I'd like to use also.
But the problem is that I don't know of a way of trapping a character as it's
typed into a cell. The Worksheet_Change() event would seem the place to look
for this type of thing, but the _Change() event doesn't trigger until you hit
that [Tab], [Enter], or Arrow key or click in another cell - i.e. not until
you (also) change the selected cell.

"crowzhome" wrote:

I have a template that I have created that is to be used for data entry. I
have a validation on each cell that allows no more than one character. What
I would like happen is once that character is entered, it automatically goes
to the next cell w/o having to use the Enter/Tab/Arrow Rgt keys.

For example, for the last name, there is a field for each alpha of the last
name and right now I have to enter each alpa and then tab to the next field
and type in the second letter of the last name and then so on and so on. I
just want to be able to type continuously and have each alpha placed in the
corresponding column.

I know there has to be a way. Any help would be appreciated.