Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt Bergum Matt Bergum is offline

Default Need to find the right formula

Sorry, I actually did have quotation marks (or it did not work at all). I
forgot to put them in this post.

I just had someone else test the formula and it works perfect on their
computer. On further review, I found the cell formatted to a custom date
format. After setting it to a number format all is good.

Thank you for your input.

Matt

"Bill Kuunders" wrote:

=COUNTIF(D2:E29,"Bob")
with the quotation marks
should work

Greetings from New Zealand
"Matt Bergum" <Matt wrote in message
I am trying to build a spreadsheet that will count the number of times a
name
is listed in a range. I then need to take that count and use it in
calculating payroll. I have tried using COUNT...but that is only for
numbers, then I tried COUNTIF...but it returns an answer of "1/3" rather
than
"3" when my name is found 3 times. I looked and found COUNTA...but that
does
not help either.

How can I count the number of times my name is found in a range and get
simple number?

Here is my formula:

=COUNTIF(D2:E29,Bob) The answer I get is 1/3 when my name is in the
range 2 times...1/4 when my name is there 3 times and 1/1 when my name is
not
listed at all.

I assume I am trying to use the wrong formula...or I just dont understand
how this one works.

Help is appreciated.
Matt